May 31st 2017
Terms and Conditions
Listen up ... This page is very important so please read it. The following rules tell you about what you will be deemed to have agreed to by entering the competition, including what we and you can and can't do or have done with the pictures you enter, so you really need to read them! We will try to make them as concise as possible.
We, Comedy Pet Photography Awards of P.O. Box 276, Usa River, Tanzania, are the organizer and promoter of the Comedy Pet Photography Awards ('CPPA'),
- The winner will be the picture, which, in the opinion of the judges, combines the best technical excellence with the most amusing content and caption. The judges’ decision will be final, and we will not enter into any correspondence concerning the final decision or the way the competition is organised.
- Anyone can enter this competition as long as the law in their country of residence allows them to do so and neither they nor any member of their immediate families are employed by us or the sponsors, or are professionally involved in any way with the organisation or administration of the competition. By entering the competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and to claim the prize. We may require you to provide proof of such eligibility. There are no age restrictions, but we will need the written confirmation of a parent or guardian of any child under 18 that we and our sponsors can exercise the rights referred to in these rules, and that the overall prizewinner and accompanying person can take up the main prize.
- To enter the competition, you must visit our website, http://www.comedypetphoto.com, complete the online entry form and upload your entry(ies) before the deadline of midnight UK time on 31st May 2017. We do not control the internet, and are not computer geeks, so we can’t take responsibility for any technical problems. It is up to you to ensure your entries reach us on time, no excuses.
- You can enter up to four images, each of which must be in JPEG format, under 4MB per image. (If you reach the finals, we will also require high resolution versions and the raw images or the original format of the photograph.) Remember quality over quantity. You are much more likely to win if you enter one or two really funny images than four 'sort of' funny images.
- You must have taken the picture yourself within the last 50 years. Seriously you wouldn't believe what people try and submit these days. Although there no restrictions on entering images which have been published before, images which have already won other competitions are not eligible. However, you must be the copyright owner, must have obtained all (if any) permissions needed to take the picture (including, for example, from the owner of the premises where it was taken, or from any person or the owner of anything else featured in it), and must be free to grant us and our sponsors the rights mentioned in paragraphs 14 and 15 below. I know that sounds complicated, but if you have taken the picture you are more than likely the copyright owner, but not necessarily, so please check and make sure and, if the picture has already been published elsewhere, check and make sure you have not already granted publication rights which conflict with those mentioned below. We will look to you to cover us for any liabilities and costs we incur if anyone brings a claim against us alleging that any of the requirements of this paragraph have not been honoured.
- Animal welfare is a crucial part of this competition and very close to all our hearts, which means that, if we get a sense that any animal has been disturbed, harassed, traumatized, or of course hurt or injured in the process of you getting your picture, you will be disqualified and banned for life from entering the competition. We do not allow any props, which are not normally used by that creature, in the photographs.
Breeds not to be used in the entry photographs:
Those marked KC3 are rated highly on the British Kennel Club watch list as breeds that have serious cause for concern: Basset, Bloodhound KC3, Chinese crested dog, Chow chow KC3, Clumber spaniel, Dachshund, Dogue de Bordeaux KC3, English bulldog KC3, French bulldog, Mastiff KC3, Neapolitan mastiff KC3, Newfoundland, Pekingese KC3, Persian cat, Pug KC3, Shar-pei KC3, Sphynx cat, St Bernard KC3.
- No captive animals please! This is a pet photography competition and not a zoo creatures competition, so no animals that live in zoos or other captive environments.
- No digital manipulation. You can of course, make basic digital corrections (including tone and contrast, burning, dodging, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction and minor cleaning work) but DO NOT ALTER THE INTEGRITY OF THE IMAGE. If you reach the finals, we will ask for the original image and we have the finest team of digital detectives on the planet to make sure every image is verified. These guys are serious pixel Sherlocks, so pay attention, no cheating! We reserve the right to disqualify any entry which we consider to break any of these terms and conditions, or otherwise to be contrary to the spirit or intention of the competition.
- In addition to receiving a splendid trophy for the mantelpiece and the kudos of being named as winner of the 2017 Comedy Pet Photographer Award, the lucky overall winner will receive a wonderful prize of £2,000 (Two thousand pounds sterling) or the equivalent in your country of residence.
- If your image has been successfully passed into the final round, we will send an email on or before 30th June 2017 to the email address you provided in the online entry form to inform you of this. We will likewise send an email on or before July 31st to inform you if you have won a prize. We accept no responsibility if these emails do not reach your inbox on time or at all for any reason.
- You agree that, if you are one of the prize winners, we may publish your name, image and town or county of residence when announcing the winners of the competition and for any other reasonable and related promotional purposes. These details will be published on our website on 1st August 2017. The prizewinners will receive their prizes at an awards ceremony in London at a date to be confimed, which all entrants will be invited to attend (at their own expense). You also agree to participate at our expense in any reasonable publicity we may require to promote the competition.
- As mentioned in paragraph 6 above, you must be the copyright owner of the image(s) you enter. By entering the competition, you agree that we and our sponsors and partners may (but do not have to) reproduce and publish the image(s) at the Awards event, in our annual portfolio book and in any other media, as provided for in the Artists Bill of Rights (including, but not limited to websites, social media, magazine and newspaper articles, exhibitions, brochures and flyers) in connection with and to promote the competition. We will assert your moral right to be identified as the photographer and will credit you wherever possible but we cannot be held liable if, in error, credit is not given. If there are occasions when your images are requested for other purposes, not related to the competition, or for other merchandising not related to beforehand, then the photographer will be contacted directly and permission and license obtained. You retain all rights to your images.
- By entering the competition, you agree that any personal information provided by you with the competition entry may be held and used by us and our agents and suppliers as specified in these rules, and generally to administer the competition. We will not use it for anything else unless you have consented to our doing so by ticking the relevant box on the online entry form.
- Insofar as is permitted by law we, our agents and distributors exclude all responsibility or liability in any circumstances to compensate the winner or any other person for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize, except where this is caused by the negligence of ourselves or of our agents or distributors. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- This is an international competition but we have to be governed by someone's laws, so we have chosen to have the CPPA governed by the laws of England. Any disputes which may but of course, hopefully will not arise will be sorted out by the courts of England.
- We reserve the right to suspend, cancel, or amend the competition for any reason, but why would we do this unless it becomes absolutely necessary?
- You must think Le Freak by Chic one of the greatest pieces of popular music ever written... just kidding.
- You must absolutely and unequivocally and with great haste rush and like us on Facebook....ha, ok again, just kidding. (Not really!)
- You must absolutely follow Paul on Instagram... (Seriously, do we really have to write that? He is pathetic! But some of his pics are really inspirational - go away PJH)
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have actually read the whole Terms and Conditions! Well done indeed! First time?